This position assists the Recreation Coordinator in the general oversight of children in the Clinton after school program. The After-School Program offers a positive, safe and structured environment.
Hours for this position are primarily 2:30pm - 6:00pm Monday - Friday. Other hours and days may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversees and mentors elementary and junior high age children.
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of children in the program.
- Assists children with school work, crafting, athletic activities and games.
- Oversees a group of children in recreational activities, programs and games.
- Ensures children follow program rules.
- Participates in swimming activities with children at the city pool.
- Attends and participates in all mandatory staff meetings and training.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other related duties as assigned, including City-directed work assignments in the event of a storm or declared emergency.)
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of basic childcare to include using appropriate peer interaction, proper language and a positive attitude.
- Ability to perform or learn first aid and CPR.
- Ability to follow directions given be recreation leaders and supervisors.
- Ability to ensure compliance with established City and department policies and procedures.
- Ability to work under stressful situations; ability to stay calm; have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain a clean environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public groups, agencies, other employees and the general public.
Education and Experience:
- Current student or received a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience caring for or being around children.
(A comparable amount of training, education and/or experience may be substituted for the above qualifications.)
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of ability to obtain a valid American Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED certification.
(Occasional=1-3 Hrs; Frequent=3-5 Hrs; Constant=5-8 Hrs – Per Work Day)
Constant sitting, standing, walking, talking and hearing. Frequent usage of arms and hands to reach, handle and feel. Occasionally stoops, kneels, crawls, climbs, runs and crouches. Occasional outdoor work in varying climates, temperatures, and weather conditions. Occasional lifting up to 20 pounds. Noise level can be noisy.