Part time - 29 or less hours per week - $7.50 per hour
This position maintains constant surveillance of patrons and is responsible for protecting visitors using the indoor and outdoor pools; responds immediately and appropriately to secure safety of visitors in the event of an emergency. This includes cleaning the swimming pool and areas.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintains constant surveillance and protects visitors at the indoor and outdoor swimming pool to assure compliance with the rules for visitors’ safety.
- Provides general information on pool operations to visitors. Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards, and enforces pool rules and policies.
- Responds to all illness and injury incidents around the entire pool facility immediately and appropriately. This includes, but is not limited to performing life saving skills, First Aid, CPR, AED, and other until arrival of emergency medical services.
- Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning.
- Performs opening and closing duties of the pool facility.
- Teaches swim lessons and works private pool parties.
- Monitors weather reports closely to ensure safety of visitors.
- Cleans pool and maintains surrounding area, including inside buildings and restrooms.
- Attends and participates in all mandatory staff meetings and trainings.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other related duties as assigned, including City-directed work assignments in the event of a storm or declared emergency.)
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of public swimming pool lifeguarding.
- Knowledge of swimming pool operations and rules.
- Ability to perform first aid and CPR.
- Ability to ensure compliance with established City and department policies and procedures.
- Ability to work under stressful situations; ability to stay calm; have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work a varied schedule, including evenings, holidays, and weekends.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, including abiding by uniform requirements.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with public groups, agencies, other employees and the general public.
** PLEASE NOTE: Must be able to pass a pre-employment/employment swim test, lifeguard class, and CPR/AED/First Aid trainings.
** City of Clinton is a Drug Free Workplace and this position requires a pre-employment drug screen after a conditional offer of employment.
Education and Experience:
- Current student or received a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience swimming and being around a swimming pool.
- Must be a minimum of 15 years of age.
(A comparable amount of training, education and/or experience may be substituted for the above qualifications.)
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid lifeguard certification from either the American Red Cross or YMCA.
(Occasional=1-3 Hrs; Frequent=3-5 Hrs; Constant=5-8 Hrs – Per Work Day)
Frequent exposure to wet and/or humid conditions. Constant sitting, standing, walking, talking and hearing. Frequent usage of arms and hands to reach, handle and feel. Occasionally stoops, kneels, crawls, climbs and crouches. Frequent outdoor work in varying climates, temperatures, and weather conditions. Occasional lifting up to 20 pounds and in some cases, may be required to left or move a person with or without assistance. Must be able to work with little to no temperature control and is routinely exposed to various chemicals (i.e. chlorine, muriatic acid, cleaning materials, and disinfectants).